There is only one topic that should be on the lips of all politicians and leaders of the Bahamas; CRIME!! I don’t want to hear about Education, Tourism, Haitians,or Chinese.
I don’t even want to hear about the new 6 legged roundabout the government decided to open on the busiest day of the year.
The greatest threat to our culture, to our society, to our economy, to our peace of mind, to our very way of life is CRIME. Nothing else comes close by comparison. And its high time the powers that be take it seriously!
Notice I didnt say Hubert Ingraham, Perry Christie, FMN or PLP. I said the powers that be! Everybody from me and you to church leaders and politicians, lawyers, doctors, teachers, janitors, everybody! We all have a part to play.
- Our leaders need to step up or step down.
- Me and you need to be willing to report crime and outcast those who commit it, even family members or friends
- The police need to upgrade and/or review their tactics because obviously what they are doing now is not working.
- The religious leaders need to get out on the streets and bring god to the criminals. Stop preaching to the choir and get out of your fancy buildings.
- Our Schools need to improve their curriculum and find other ways to reach our young people. Recognize the path they are on and turn them away from it.
Last night there were two incidents that are really upsetting to me;
Firstly, a father was shot and killed in Solomons parking lot while carrying his baby. The Baby was also shot and has reportedly died. The father was apparently a criminal figure, but the baby was innocent. The nature of these criminals that they don’t respect the life of a baby.
Secondly, there reportedly was a shooting at Mario’s Bowling Alley lastnight also. Its like there is no where you can go in Nassau where Niggas (u read right) don’t mess it up! You have a set of Bahamian young men that simply don’t know how to enjoy themselves without resorting to guns and violence.
I plan on examining the issues of crime in The Bahamas and putting forth solutions in several posts in the coming weeks, starting tomorrow. Please join me and let your voice be heard!