Have you ever heard something that stuck with you and influenced your future behavior? It could be anything or anybody.
A few years ago I attended Sunday services at Bahamas Faith Ministry and heard something that had a huge impact on me. No, its not what you’re thinking, I didn’t get saved.
Dr. Myles Munroe was preaching and he said something that made me go, UH? He said, “when I die I want to die empty”. For a brief moment there i was puzzled by that statement. Perhaps you have heard it before. That was the first time i heard it.
He further explained that we are filled with potential, because that’s how God made us. Unfortunately most of us die never having tapped into that potential. In other words we die full.
Sitting there i decided i too wanted to die empty.
Of course, I left there and soon forgot about it and did nothing. But like i said, it stuck with me. I started trying new things, trying to improve as a person and as a man. Gradually I’m starting to find my way and see the person i want to become and the life i want to live.
Its a journey, Life is a journey. We just have to keep moving forward. One way to do this is through setting goals and reviewing those goals regularly. Here’s a list of 10 questions that I try to ask myself every myself every Sunday;
- What did I learn last week? – If you have trouble answering this question, it’s time for a change. It doesn’t matter how old you are, you should learn something new every week.
- What was my greatest accomplishment over the past week? – Reflecting on your accomplishments is a healthy way to raise self confidence and contentment. It’s also an effective way to track your progress.
- What’s the #1 thing I need to accomplish this week? – Everything else is secondary, and should be treated as such. Nevertheless, this question will also shine light on other noteworthy tasks.
- What have I been avoiding that needs to get done? – Pencil in a time to get these things done. For any 2-minute or less tasks, consider scheduling them first thing Monday morning.
- What are my top 3 goals for the next 3 years? – You’ll never make any progress in life if you don’t setup realistic goals for yourself.
- Have any of my recent actions moved me closer to my goals? – If the answer is no, something needs to change.
- What’s the next step for each goal? – Knowing the next step is the key to accomplishing the whole.
- What am I most grateful for? – It’s a smart way to keep things in perspective, and something you should never lose sight of.
- How can I help someone else this coming week? – The easiest way to get what you want is to help others get what they want. If you help them, they will remember you when you need help.
- If I knew I only had one week to live, who would I spend my time with? – Life is short. Spend more time with the people you care about.
Taking 30 minutes every Sunday or early Monday morning to reflect on and answer these questions will keep you on target to achieving your goals. Honestly I don’t do this every week but i try to answer these questions at least once a month.The important thing is to keep moving forward.
Die empty my friends.