When the search for BTC partners begun in 2009, Cable & Wireless Caribbean (CWC) was one of the companies the privatization committee said it favored. However despite a lengthy review CWC was not interested and so did not submit a bid.
Several months later, AFTER the bidding processed had been closed, AFTER 3 other companies had been shortlisted, DESPITE regulations against it happening, Somehow, at the eleventh hour CWC was brought into the process! They became the favorite, eventually winning the bid and are poised to become 51% stakeholders in BTC.
If you listen to day time radio and read some of the local papers there is a clear line of questioning on how this chain of events happened. Many are claiming conflict of interest and others, outright corruption. At the center of these claims are two former CWC executives; USMAN SADAAT & MARSHA LEWIS.
- Brought on as the director of policy and regulation for URCA
- Shortly after leaving CWC (weeks/months)
- Wrote & Implemented URCA’s policy and regulations
- Prior to joining URCA, Headed CWC in St. Lucia
- Recommended LCI Inc. to be HR consultants for URCA in 2009
- Became CEO of URCA in Sept 2010
- Member of BTC privatization committee
- Former executive at CWC Barbados
- Husband is currently head of CWC’s Caribbean Business Development
- Left CWC in 2009 to Start LCI Inc.
- LCI hired to provide HR advice to URCA to the tune of 131,000
- Just months after leaving CWC and starting LCI
- The position of HR Consultant was never advertised
- URCA is LCI’s ONLY client
- Utilities Regulation and Competition Authority
- Responsible for regulating utilities in The Bahamas and Ensuring fair competion
Ok I trust you are following this so far. Pay close attention now, this is where it gets, hmmm… lets say interesting;
- In order for USMAN SADAAT to become CEO of URCA he along with other applicants had to forward their resume to URCA’s HR Consultant in Barbados
Go ahead read that again. Got it?
Let me make it clearer.
- USMAN SADAAT recommended LCI/MARSHA LEWIS to URCA as a HR Consultant
- LCI is hired and payed 131,000
- USMAN then applies for the position of CEO of URCA
- HIS RESUME IS THEN REVIEWED BY THE SAME COMPANY/WOMAN HE RECOMMENDED
- USMAN SADAAT BECOMES URCA CEO
Well MUDDASICK! Well MUDDOES! Well AALLBE! Well MONKEYDO!
OK lets continue…
So lets recap a series of events
- Cable & Wireless is not interested in buying 51% stake in BTC
- Usman Sadat, Former CWC exec, becomes regulator of BTC
- Marsha Lewis, Former CWC exec, become HR consultant for URCA based on Usman Sadat’s Introduction
- Marsha Lewis then recommend Usman Sadaat become CEO of URCA
- Former CWC employee is working in BTC Management Information Systems Department
- Usman Sadaat is also on the BTC advisory committee
- CWC is brought in as late entry to bidding process (against regulations)
- CWC wins bid and is set to become 51% stakeholder in BTC
- Approval of deal rests with URCA…. headed by Former CWC exec
As I wrote in my previous post, 10 reasons i’m against the sale of BTC, this whole URCA situation does not sit well with me. Perhaps its all just a huge set of coincidences. Perhaps those radio personalities are all just a bunch of paranoid conspiracy theorist.
What y’all think?