I just finished watching the FNM’s Rally this evening on ZNS and wanted to get my thoughts down fresh.
This weekend marks the official launch of the Political Season with both the PLP and the FNM introducing their full slate of candidates.
I expect things to start to intensify moving forward, so I expect much more rallies/parties and propaganda to hit the airways. My only concern is that we have no violence this election (remember we had a few incidents last time) and everyone acts responsibly.
Unfortunately, I was not able to watch the PLP rally in full on Friday night, but from pictures posted on Facebook it appeared to be very well attended.
Which brings me to my first observation about the two rallies.
The PLP’s rally was on Friday evening, while the FNM’s rally was on Sunday Evening.
While plp supporters tried to cast the timing of the FNM rally in a negative light due to Sunday being reserved for church, I think the FNM rally was perfectly timed for a couple reasons;
- There was no football on this weekend, and the Superbowl is next weekend. Therefore, the televisions in the majority of homes were not tied up with sports
- Most people are home on Sundays anyway and more would be able to watch the rally on TV, giving the FNM a large television audience. As oppose to the PLP’s Rally on Friday when most people have other plans.
I think the FNM had the better schedule of the two rallies
I saw it posted somewhere of Facebook that Ingraham said “I got the money baby”. That was on display on Sunday as The FNM booked out every news station to broadcast their rally on Sunday, preempting church services and other programs.
This is another reason we need campaign finance reform. We have no idea where the money for any of these political campaigns are coming from. To strengthen democracy and ensure the best representation for the Bahamian people we need a level playing field for all.
If this rally is a preview of what the FNM’s intend to do for the rest of the Political season we can infer the following
- The FNM will try to make this about Perry Christie’s and Hubert Ingraham’s Leadership style
- The FNM will probably go dirty, talking smack, innuendo and casting PLPs has corrupt
- The PLP has made a mistake in running people like Shane Gibson again, The FNM will beat them over the head with this, ALL season… and they will be right… in my opinion.
- The FNM will not address issues such as Crime, Unemployment, Cost of living etc, instead they will focus on infrastructural projects
These are just a few quick thoughts I had after watching the rally this afternoon. Unfortunately I did not get to watch the PLP’s rally on Friday so I don’t have much to add on that.
Please add your thoughts in the comments below on the Rallies held this weekend. I’m really interested in getting as many different opinions as possible. Thanks.
PS…Please feel free to dispute anything I’ve written above