An Olympic gold medal is worth much more than the value of the medal it is made of. It’s the blood sweat and tears of the athlete who won it, It’s the pride of a people, our self-confidence, our inspiration and the aspiration of our youth. A gold medal is priceless.
Tonique Williams Darling was immortalized with a highway named in her honor. Long after she has passed people will be traveling Tonique Williams-Darling highway. Some have suggested that all the athletes be given the same honor. Others have suggested a monetary reward of up to a Million dollars.
So how should we reward the athlete who captured the Gold Medal?
First we must realize that money itself should not be the driving factor of the athlete and therefore should not be the main reward. After all money is a poor motivator, besides how can we as a country take pride in an athletes accomplishments if they were motivated by monetary gain? No the million dollar reward is out.
Here are some ideas on what I thing they should get
- Recognition as national heroes
- Painting/sculpture (in a prominent location) memorializing the accomplishment
- Parcel of Crown Land on Island of choice or housing in government subdivision in Nassau
- 30,000 (Gold), 20,000 (Silver), 10,000 (Bronze)
- Government Sponsorship 40,000 per year for gold medal athlete still performing and not in college
- Youth Ambassadors (paid appearances to speak to nations youth)