The videos were published by the Tribune in a story about the lawsuit filed against Peter Nygard by four Save The Bays (STB) directors – Joseph Darville, Romauld Ferreira, Fred Smith and Billionaire Mr Luis Bacon – and Reverend CB Moss.
Since this story broke it seems all hell has broken loose.
Don’t Get Bogged Down In The Minutia and Intrigue
Talk show hosts and pundits pick apart every documents, allegations and counter accusations have been levied. High powered PR firms have been engaged, counter lawsuits filed and just this morning the Chairman of the Free National Movement (FNM) party resigned.
Who to believe?
- Did the Save The Bays organization really attempt to destabilize the government?
- Did Nygard really hire criminals to run hate rallies and harass members of the Save The Bays Environmental group
- Was there really a Murder for Hire Plot?
- Do these criminals really know the Deputy PM and PM personally?
- Did Pintard really facilitated the payment of hundreds of thousands to setup Nygard and the PLP
- Did Minnis leader of the official opposition really meet with said criminals
- Did the Brave Davis, DPM really coach criminals on what to say/do
There are so many questions, plots, sub-plots and theories being floated about. But I’m not going to get bogged down in minutia and intrigue.
Lets Take A Look At The Bigger Picture
Instead I want to look at the bigger picture, beyond the sordid details of this one affair.
What we know is that
- The Bahamas has been made to look bad. Really BAD.
- Once again our name has been dragged through the mud by the actions of our politicians.
- Foreigners, drug dealers, illegal numbers men and apparently anyone with enough coin can gain access to the highest echelons of power in The Bahamas
- Characters of ill repute can be on a first name bases with the leaders of our nation and can say and do whatever they please, as long as they grease the right palms.
What we know is that despite controversy after controversy, conflict of interest after conflict of interest, shady deal after shady deal… nothing changes.
So yea I want to get to the bottom of the current controversy. But more than anything else, I want it to never happen again. I want sensible changes made that reduces the chances of this happening ever again!
5 Changes that the Next Government MUST Implement
In light of the current Nygard, Bacon, PLP, FNM, Murder for Hire, he said she said scandal the next government must implement;
An MP Code of Conduct – to set the rules of conduct which underpin the standards and principles and to which all Members must adhere; and in so doing ensuring public confidence in the standards expected of all Members and in the commitment of the House to upholding these rules.
Campaign Finance Reform – to govern the use of money in electoral processes such as general elections, by-elections, and referenda. And hopefully prevent big business, foreignors and mega rich from unfairly influencing elected officials.
Freedom of Information Act – to give citizens the legal right to access government information. Thus ensuring governments are scrutinized, thereby becoming more open, transparent and accountable and delivering good governance.
Whistleblower Protection Act – to provide protection to individuals who exposes information or activity that is deemed illegal, unethical, or not correct within an organization that is either private or public.
What Is The Way Forward
There have been much name calling and finger pointing over the last few weeks since this story broke. What I’m not hearing from either side is a call for reform.
This is not an isolated incident nor is it the first time we’ve been down this road. But we need to do our best to make it the last.
So I’m reaching out to you reading this, don’t get caught up in the drama and intrigue, Join me in calling for substantial reform to how our MPs behave and conduct themselves.
This is the only way forward