Since the February 19th signing of the Memorandum of Understanding between The Government of The Bahamas and Oban Energies LLC. The Minnis administration has been embroiled in controversy.
Below are 20 WTF moments that let us know that the OBAN deal was off the rails.
1. When the FNM embraced a PLP deal as its own.
2. When the FNM introduced a non executive chairman of Oban to the country. (Exactly what is that).
3. When the non-executive chairman turned out to be a convicted fraudster.
4. The big time signing of the heads of agreement without the promised consultation of stakeholders.
5. When the non-executive chairman signed the agreement instead of the president.
6. When we found out that the chairman forged the president’s name sitting right next to the prime minister of the Bahamas
7. When for months no one knew what the president of Oban looks like, and rumors circled that he was an imaginary Sesame’s Street character
8. When the Prime Minister refused to address the issue, waiting a month plus to address Parliament
9. The refusal of the government and Oban to have a joint press conference to explain the Oban deal and to answer questions.
10. When Oban executives released a long-winded press release, using Bahamianese vernacular to insult the populace.
11. When the FNM used the defense the Oban deal was good for the PLP, it must be good for the nation.
12. The FNM announced that the Environment assessment has not yet been done but still signed the heads of agreement.
13. The FNM announcing the Heads of Agreement is not binding but included that even if the environmental assessment proves unfavorable the government will not back out of the deal.
14. The prime minister announced his party’s missteps but refused to explain how they will correct such
16. The Oban website proves to be weeks old and its executives/owners appear to be mid-management car dealers.
17. When the environment minister say don’t ask me about Oban’s environmental impact that’s the prime minister’s baby; he took that portfolio from me remember.
18. When it proved that clearly, the Bahamian public seem to know more about Oban’s history than the entire FNM Cabinet.
19. When it was realized the Oban owners have no money and had to shop around for the actual investment using Bahamian land and the heads of agreement as collateral.
20. When a certain news editor and a certain talk show host exposed the PM as being incompetent, holding a series of talk shows, national review write up and video expose’ revealing that “this is what happens when you vote for clearly inept people.
Note: This post first appeared on the page of Social Media intellectual and popular blogger C.A.Newry
Talk Back (comment below): What was the most egregious moment for you? Do you have any moments you want to add?